Man ser de samme klagene fra internatskolene som man gjør fra utvekslingsbyråene når det gjelder regjeringens krav til dem. En artikkel i The Telegraph fra 2009 forteller om en school mistress som klager over måten skolene inspiseres på og reglene de må overholde. Det er identisk med det man har opplevd i USA hver gang Department of State har overholdt sine egne regler.
«Ofsted is the Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills. We report directly to Parliament and we are independent and impartial. We inspect and regulate services which care for children and young people, and those providing education and skills for learners of all ages.» (Ofsted)
I tillegg til Ofsted har Department for Education inspeksjoner hos «association» skoler. Disse inspektørene er:
- Independent Schools Inspectorate
- School Inspection Service
- Bridge Schools Inspectorate (kristne/muslimske skoler)
Før en skole godkjennes av Department of Education må den legge fram:
- A plan showing the layout of the premises and accommodation of all buildings.
- Detailed curriculum plans, schemes of work for every subject and year group taught and pupil assessment procedures.
- A copy of the school’s written policies on:
- Preventing bullying, following DfE advice ‘Preventing and Tackling Bullying: Advice for school leaders and governors’
- Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children who are pupils at the school which complies with DfE Guidance:
- “Safeguarding Children and Safer Recruitment in Education” and “Dealing with Allegations of Abuse against Teachers and Other Staff’;
- Safeguarding and promoting the health and safety of pupils at the school following DfE advice:
- ‘Health & safety: Department for education advice on legal duties and powers for local authorities, head teachers, staff and governing bodies;
- Promoting good behaviour amongst pupils setting out the sanctions to be adopted in the event of pupil misbehaviour.
- A copy of the school complaints procedures, as outlined in regulation 7 of The Education (Independent School Standards) (England) Regulations 2010 as amended by The education (Independent School Standards) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2012.
Boarding Schools Association representerer internatskolene og har fått gjennom endringer i sin favør.